Getting Braces FAQs: How Long Does It Take in General?
The process of putting on braces can be broken down into a few different steps:
- Consultation and treatment planning: This initial step can take anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours, depending on the complexity of your case.
- Preparing for braces: Once you and your orthodontist have decided that braces are the best treatment option for you, a few things need to be done before the braces can be placed. This preparatory work can take one to two weeks.
- Placing the braces: The actual process of placing the braces on your teeth is relatively quick, and can be done in 30 minutes to an hour.
- Adjusting to life with braces: It will take some time to get used to wearing braces and eating with them, but most people adjust within a few days to a week.
How long does it take to put on braces? As you can see, the entire process of getting braces can take anywhere from several hours to a few weeks. The length of time will depend on factors such as the complexity of your case and how well you adjust to life with braces.
How Long Does It Take to Put On Braces? Placing the Braces
The actual process of applying the braces on your teeth is relatively quick, and can be done in 30 minutes to an hour. The first step is to clean your teeth thoroughly. Next, the brackets (small metal pieces that will be attached to your teeth) are placed on your teeth with a bonding agent. Once the brackets are in place, the orthodontist will use a special tool to tighten the wire that runs through the brackets. The last step is to add elastic rubber bands or other attachments that may be part of your treatment plan. Now, you almost know the complete answer to “how long does it take to put on braces”. Read on to complete your knowledge!
How Long Does It Take to Put On Braces? Adjusting to Life With Braces
It will take some time to get used to wearing braces and eating with them, but most people adjust within a few days to a week. You may experience some soreness in your mouth and teeth as they adjust to the braces, but this is typically minor and goes away quickly. It’s important to follow all the dental instructions given to you by your orthodontist during this adjustment period (like eating only soft foods, good oral hygiene), as not doing so could lengthen the amount of time it takes to get used to your braces.
How Long Does It Take to Put On Braces? Invisalign
If you’re getting Invisalign treatment, the process is slightly different. Instead of metal brackets and wires, you’ll be wearing a series of clear plastic aligners that are custom-made for your teeth. The aligners are changed out every two weeks or so, and each new aligner moves your teeth a bit closer to their final positions. The entire treatment process can take anywhere from nine to 15 months, depending on the severity of your case.
Making aligners takes about two weeks, so you’ll need to wait for your first set of aligners before starting treatment. Once you have them, you’ll need to wear the aligners for 20 to 22 hours a day, only taking them out to eat and brush your teeth. If you’re interested in Invisalign read our other blog post on Is Invisalign Cheaper Than Braces?
How long does it take to put on braces? Now you know!
- How Long Do Braces Take? Treatment Time
- Is Invisalign Cheaper Than Braces and Which Would Be Best for Your Teeth
- How to Deal With Braces Pain. Expert Advice
- Which of the Many Types of Braces – Ceramic Braces, Metal Braces, and Others – Are Best for You?
- The Consequences of Not Wearing a Retainer for a Month – Why You Shouldn’t Forget to Wear It